Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First Steps

At the beginning Fall Semester 2011, my professor gave a presentation on "an exciting new program," "a once in a lifetime opportunity," "a resume builder." I leaned over to my friend Sarah and said "I will do this." Fast forward several months to the day the application was actually due. I hadn't exactly written it yet, but I was stilling thinking "I will do this." Forcing myself to sit down in the Pappajohn Computer Lab, I wrote the essay and voila! I was officially a founding member of the CUHK - Iowa Accounting Exchange Program.

For the weeks leading up to my flight, I was really nervous. I mean like that feeling you get when you're walking in the streets of Iowa City and you're suddenly unsure if that car's going to stop or not. I don't speak the language, I don't know anyone, and up until recently I couldn't exactly find Hong Kong on a map. However, I booked my flight, and just kept telling myself It'll be an adventure, Being nervous is all apart of the experience.

My method of packing went something like this, "Have I worn/used it in the last year?" "Yes." "More than once?" "Doesn't matter. It's going in the bag." This method actually ended up costing me a pretty penny (turns out the airlines are not amused by over stuffed bags), but I feel confident in what I brought. I do have some worries for the flight home - as Hong Kong is a Shopping Mecca - but I'll worry about that in four months.

Let me just say this: In my experience, Asian airlines rock. Full meals, blanket, pillow, my personal television. I watched the entire second season of Game of Thrones while eating a single-serving sized carton of  Haagen Dazs Ice Cream.

I landed and stressed about immigration. Immigration was a piece of cake. I grabbed my bags and stressed about hailing a cab. The taxi was a cake walk. So an hour and several metaphorical calories later, I was safe and sound in my room (seen below). Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

My spacious accommodations



No comments:

Post a Comment